This recipes yields 6 pancakes and, to me, (and I am a pancake-fiend), 2 is more than enough.
|Orange & Cinnamon Pancakes|
- 1 and a half cups self-raising flour
- 1 large egg
- 1 and a half cups buttermilk
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp. caster sugar
- 1 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1 orange
- 1 cinnamon stick
- A half cup of real maple syrup
|Christmas style Pancakes|
- Put the maple syrup, along with the zest of half the orange and the cinnamon stick in a saucepan on a very low heat and slowly heat through for about 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, sieve the flour into a bowl, make a well in centre, and crack in the egg.
- Beat it through the flour briefly and then pour in the buttermilk and beat again until you get a thickish pouring consistency, which still retains some small lumps throughout.
- Add in the salt, sugar, ground cinnamon and the remaining zest of the orange and fold through gently.
- Put a frying pan (I use a griddle pan for the ridged effect) on the heat and add a little oil. Tip in a good tablespoon of your batter to make one pancake but you should fit two or three on your pan. Cook until bubbles raise to the top and the pancake should flip very easily. When you move onto the next batch, place the cooked pancakes into a moderately heated oven to keep them warm until serving.
- When all your pancakes are ready, serve up with a good drizzle of your heated infused maple syrup on top. Believe me, these really do taste of Christmas!
|Pancakes laced with the infused Maple Syrup|
Another few serving ideas:
Place a few orange wedges on the side of the plate, serve with some freshly squeezed orange juice, or for a luxurious treat, stir through a little ground cinnamon and icing sugar into a nice dollop of Mascarpone cheese and serve this on top of your pancake stack.