Monday 29 July 2013

Ariel House and Afternoon Tea

Afternoon tea is one of those luxurious treats which, once you’ve been introduced to, will probably become somewhat of an obsession! It all started a few years back when a good friend of mine from Austria who spent many a year in Dublin, brought me to the swish Westin Hotel in Dublin city centre for some “afternoon tea”. I was intrigued indeed, but didn’t know quite what to expect!
The relaxation, the calm, the absence of any hurry, the tea served in pretty china cups and saucers, the savouries and the sweet treats; wow! Suffice is to say, I was well and truly hooked.

Since then I have been lucky enough to experience a few Afternoon Teas. In July 2012, my sister and I visited the K Club in Kildare and were treated to a beautiful array of goodies, outside, admiring the preened and beautiful gardens, in the sun, yes the sun, summer 2012 – I kid you not!
Afternoon Tea looking out to the gardens at the K Club

A few months later, my sisters and good friends organised the perfect hen party for me to Fota Island Resort in Cork. It included Afternoon Tea (they know me well!) while reminiscing, perusing old photos and getting all girly and a tad weepy too. It was truly delicious. 
Not a bit emotional on the hen - oh no!
There have been some disappointments, such as a very expensive and not overly special Afternoon Tea in The Ritz-Carlton, Powerscourt, in Wicklow.

Then, just this year, the dream discovery was made - Afternoon Tea at Ariel House in Ballsbridge, Dublin 4. I’ve been there twice and envisage more visits, sooner rather than later!

From the idyllic setting as you stroll up to the striking Victorian building, to the wonderful warmth of welcome you receive upon entering the guesthouse, your visit is sure to begin with the most positive and relaxed feeling.

On both occasions, I was seated with my companion by the window in the dining room, which is also where their excellent breakfasts are served every morning.  I actually took a peek at the breakfast menu on my last visit. Oh yeah!  I’d be a very happy camper from early morning if I was rising to one of their breakfasts! The view by the window is lovely, the music is atmospheric and the china is adorable. Anyway, back to the matter at hand; afternoon tea. The selection is simply superb, with more than enough to fill two hungry aficionados until bedtime that night! I feel strongly that tea and tea alone is the correct beverage for afternoon tea and the tea here is good and replenished liberally! On my last visit, we were also treated to delightfully refreshing homemade lemonade, as a summertime treat. This was much appreciated on a warm day; I only wish I had the recipe!
Now to turn to the food! To begin with the savouries, we were served an array of freshly made sandwiches, including my personal favourite of smoked salmon on gorgeous homemade brown bread. Then to move on to the sweets, between my two visits we devoured a selection of  macaroons of various flavours, chocolate biscuit cake (their special recipe, which must be tasted to be appreciated!), miniature lemon meringue pies, raspberry scones, yummy shortbread biscuits, pear frangipane, coffee and walnut bakes, banana bread, supreme pavlova and Eton Mess, mm mm mmmm…I could go on! The whole experience is just lovely. I left on both occasions knowing I would return and wanting to share my discovery with one and all! Afternoon tea can be an expense but at Ariel House it is reasonably priced and truly excellent value for money. I would offer these few words of encouragement, if you think it’s something you’d like to treat yourself to, make it your Saturday outing and forfeit the night out. You will not be disappointed. Now it’s time for some marvellous visuals. I’ve said more than enough; these pictures will speak for themselves…




Ariel House is on TwitterFacebook, and on Instagram, just search arielhouse, and you can ooh and ahh over even more photos like mine - not advised on an empty tummy though ;-)

For more interesting reading on Afternoon Tea, this blog is well worth a read. These two lucky ladies, Kate and Chelsea, travel around sampling and reporting on Afternoon Tea experiences, in many fabulous worldwide destinations - talk about living the dream!

If you do decide to try Afternoon Tea in Ariel House or elsewhere, it'd be great to hear your take on it, so please do comment below. Now I'm off for a cuppa!

*A little update everyone, after yet another visit in January 2014, I have another mouth-watering selection of photos to add. I have decided to choose five, which I really like, for you to feast your eyes on. I am only a little hooked on Ariel House's afternoon tea!


Five sandwiches selection - cucumber, egg mayonnaise, smoked cheese
and tomato chutney, smoked salmon and home baked ham

Utterly delicious fresh berry pavlova

Delightful mini banana loaves

Chocolate-dipped strawberries and chocolate discs





7 comments:

  1. Hi Nollaig,

    First up, congratulations on curating such a lovely blog. Celebrating just what's awesome in the food world is wonderfully refreshing.

    I recently helped launch a travel review site, www.Triptease.com. We have a similar philosophy. We want to be a platform for people to share the best of their travels.

    Would you mind if I converted this post into a Triptease review? The tea here looks exquisite! I'll be sure to leave links back to your site and will share it across our social channels.

    It'd be a real help. Let me know what you think!

    Ella

    ella@triptease.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ella,

      Thanks so much for your lovely comment. Ariel House is so well worth a visit when in Dublin. Well done on the new website, it looks super! I am dreaming of travels this very moment! I will email you soon.

      All the best,

      Nollaig.

      Delete
  2. Hi Nollaig,
    Reading this is a good way to distract myself from the horrible Irish weather and my wet socks!
    Think I need to book my first afternoon tea for 2014 but first I will set you an afternoon tea challenge: Where is the best place to go if you want a good balance of savoury and sweet? Like all those fab little savoury tarts you see on the GBBO.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mrs Anderson, I returned to Ariel House just a few weeks back and they had a superb selection of sandwiches; the traditional cucumber, a gorgeous smoked cheese and relish, and an open smoked salmon one, among others! I often go for the sweets moreso, but their savouries are great too. Hope you find a nice place. Afternoon tea is such a treat! Thanks for the comment.
      Nollaig.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look so lovely. I am sure I would enjoy them!Thank you so much for sharing it .




    Bonbons Maken & Sushi Workshop


    ReplyDelete
  5. Useful information like this one must be kept and maintained so I will put this one on my bookmark list! Thanks for this wonderful post and hoping to post more of this!

    Chef Cooking Videos & easy cooking recipes videos

    ReplyDelete